Re: [OM][OT] Lag on the List

Subject: Re: [OM][OT] Lag on the List
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:50:35 -0700
Hi gang:

I was reading Popular Photography's review of the new Contax N1 the
other night.  They briefly discussed Contax's older auto-focus camera,
the AX.  The AX apparently is a "camera in a camera" and auto-focuses by
moving the film plane (ABF, or Automatic Back Focus).  This allowed them
to offer autofocus, with obsoleting their current line of lenses.

Could Olympus use this technology to introduce professional quality
auto-focus to the OM line?  Obviously, they would have to buy or license
the technology, but it seems like this should be technically possible.
Does anyone have any experience with the Contax AX that they would like
to share?

Thanks!

Bill Stanke

The AX is huge. It is large because it has to move the film plane, mirror box, and prism to keep the relationships among them. It would no longer be an Oly if it were that large.

It seems to me that it would be very difficult to get a motorized AF system to deal with the very small movements of very heavy components compared to larger movements of relatively light weight components in a conventional AF system. You wonder how well it worked when they touted the advantage of the manual focus lens to "fine tune" the focus.

Is this the list or Earthlink? I sent the above on the 13th and it arrived back on the 23d. It is not the first time.

Has this been happening to anyone else?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA