Re: [OM] [OT] Trip suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Trip suggestions
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:54:35 +0200
Yo,

on Sun, 24 Jun 2001 15:30:22 -0400, you wrote:

>Scotland, for sure.  Interesting architecture, stunning landscapes and
>seascapes.  Friendly people, good public transportation.

Agree on all counts (don't know about public transportation, though - all I
can say is that it's a dream for motorcycling).

>No innoculations for weird tropical diseases.

You just have to take care not to be eaten by the midges. I recommend heavy
motorcycle clothing which has proven to offer excellent protection both
against motorcycling-related injuries and midges. ;-)

>Fairly unlikely to get your wallet stolen.

It seems that there are regions where you have to be careful, though. I had
my tank bag (with electric shaver, passport, drivers licence, some other
documents, an OM-2n, several lenses, flash, tripod, an XA, a few other
accessories and several rolls of exposed film, not to forget my B&B guide
and the hip flask full of Scotch) stolen at a gas station in Largs (not too
far from Glasgow), basically from under the eyes of my travel companions.
Replacing all the documents alone cost me a small fortune, not to mention
the other stuff. I don't think this would have happened, for instance, in
the Highlands, but still, keep an eye on your stuff.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx