Re: [OM] Hello & Focussing Screen Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Hello & Focussing Screen Question
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:15:54 -0600
At 10:34 PM 6/25/01 +0100, Mike Humbertson wrote:

[snip]

I've started with the 50mm f1.4 and the 500mm f8 mirror lenses.  I'm
intending to try using the 500mm for photographing birds.  The camera
came with the 1-13 screen fitted and also with a spare 1-13.  I find
that the image that the 500mm produces in the view-finder when using
this lens is not very bright at all and it is quite difficult to
judge an exact focus from the image on the matte area of the screen.
I'm wondering if I would find focussing the lens easier with a clear
screen or possibly with a Beattie screen.  Please can anyone advise?
Also, does the light meter give correct readings with Beattie screens?

Clear screen, probably not. Either Olympus' series 2 screens, or a Beattie. Get one with a matte finish. Neither the 2 series nor the Beattie produces correct meter readings when fitted into an OM-1n. This can be adjusted for by a competent service technician (of which there are several haunting the List).

Garth