[OM] Seeking experience with moderate telephoto and 50mm reversed

Subject: [OM] Seeking experience with moderate telephoto and 50mm reversed
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:39:15 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings:

Too late for TOPE macro, but I'm interested in playing with reversing a
lens on the end of a moderate telephoto for macro work. For this I need a
55mm-49mm male-male filter adaptor (easy to buy) and a couple lenses
(already have).

I have Shaw's "closeups in nature" book, which gives some detail for the
then current Nikon system, but I was wondering if anyone here had
experience to share.  I know, I know, "Do your own tests!"... But I would
love to hear from others who have tried this with Zuikos to give me a
starting point.

I have the Zuikos: 90/2, 135/2.8, 200/4 to mount a 50/3.5 on. The 200
seems like it would be unwieldy without a tripod mount on the lens itself.

1) How would the 90 vs 135 compare? The 135 seems like a more appropriate
length to bother with this technique, but doesn't generally close-focus as
well...

2)  Would the 90+50 give much greater magnification or resolution than a
simple 50/3.5 fully extended with a few tubes? If I use the 90lens, should
this be extended to engage the floating macro mechanism? If so, how far is
far enough for this benefit?

3) I assume the reversed 50 should also be fully extended, but does it
matter when it is reversed on the front of another lens? For that matter,
in this manner, does it matter which 50 lens is used. Would a standard 1.8
work just as well for resolution?

4) I don't own a focussing stage. Is it too difficult to work at this
magnification (even for initial testing) without one?

5) Is there any point in using a shorter tele with extension tubes vs. a
longer tele without tubes (both with the reversed lens attached in front,
of course)?

Any other comments most welcome,
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")