AW: [OM] Taking pictures of Mars

Subject: AW: [OM] Taking pictures of Mars
From: "Dr. Rainer Wagner" <Rainer.Wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:19:11 +0200
Hi Olaf,

Sorry that i have to discourage you a bit, but with your setup you will get
a mars picture which will have less than half a millimeter  diameter on your
slide (Moon has a diameter of about 30 arc minutes, Mars is only 20 arc
seconds.). So there is no chance of seeing details. You will only see a
bright , perhaps somewhat orange spot which I would consider is not worth
the effort. You would need a focal length of mor than 15 m to have a chance.
Planet photographers normally use a telescope with eyepiece projection.
Perhaps it would be worthwhile to picture Mars with adjacent stars with a 50
or 100 mm lens, but even this is not easy, because the brightness difference
is very high, and you will either get a nicely exposed reddish mars with
only a few ( Antares, or anti - mars just somewhat to the right of mars, and
nearly the same colour), or there are more stars with severe overexposure of
mars. So , if your southern horizon is really dark (it is not so nice here
in Juelich/ germany, perhaps not very far from you) try your 50/1,8 with 400
or even Kodak 1600 asa slide film , start with 5 sec exposure and step up to
1 or two minutes. You will get amazing results! I  have something like 200
pictures of this type.  I would prefer the OM1 because it has the mechanical
shutter. I even tried to use the 55/1,2 at full speed, the consequence was
selling this and buying a 50/1,4 and a 24/2,8 instead.

Have fun!
Rainer