Re: [OM] Fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:52:04 -0500
On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 08:41:48AM -0700, Mike Lazzari wrote:
> I'm going to try to get some pictures of the fireworks this weekend.
> I'll probably use a 300/4.5 since I'm quite far away and ASA400 film.
> Body suggestions would be helpful, I'm leaning toward the OM2 but have a
> 1, 2n and 2sp. I'm worried that the exposure will be too long because of
> the black background and blur out the fireworks. Maybe I should use the
> OM1 with the mirror locked and just do a bracket of exposures? What
> exposure times are recommended? Any tips appreciated.

If all you're taking pictures of is the fireworks themselves, without
anything in the background, then the usual technique is to set the aperture
to an appropriate value for the film speed and hold the shutter open on B
long enough to let a burst or three paint themselves on the film. Don't even
think about autoexposure, as the camera will get it wrong. Use the -1. I
think I used f/5.6 for 100-speed film, but check the manufacturer's
recommendations (Kodak lists fireworks specifically, dunno about the
others).

Balancing exposures between fireworks and other objects can get tricky. The
idea is to let the exposure for the other object be the right amount when
the shutter closes from letting the fireworks paint on the film. If you need
to do that, experimentation and bracketing are the order of the day.