Re: [OM] Fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:37:05 -0500
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
If all you're taking pictures of is the fireworks themselves, without
anything in the background, then the usual technique is to set the aperture
to an appropriate value for the film speed and hold the shutter open on B
long enough to let a burst or three paint themselves on the film. Don't even
think about autoexposure, as the camera will get it wrong.

Most of my fireworks photos (don't have any on the web, sorry) were made with OM-2S in auto mode. ASA 100 film at F8 or 11. If the lens is long enough that the fireworks tend to fill the frame, several bursts will be enough to satisfy the meter and end the exposure. I have set OM-2S and OM-1 side by side and used the OM-2S meter in auto to determine the exposure for the OM-1 (because I wanted to get exposures on both slide and print film). Change aperature to "tune" the exposure for the number of bursts/time. I would guess exposures ranged variously from 10-30 secs depending on the frequency and intensity of the blasts.

This probably won't work in a case where fireworks are a smallish part of a larger scenic, but it has worked for me where the patterns of the fireworks are the main item. I also tends to record the whole motion of the blast -- from the liftoff, to the blast, and then to the dying out. One might not want to get this whole process, but it's usually what I like to record, so OM-2S in auto mode is great for this.

Joel W.