Re: [OM] Fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:13:39 +0000
Not completely certain what you mean by "streaks." This method does capture the entire burst from center outward. It's usually a little brighter at the tips of the burst. You might occasionally see a very faint vertical streak from skyrocket motor, but you have to look for it.

I don't recommend doing it hand held at any shutter speed. Use a sturdy tripod and a lens just wide enough to take in the portion of sky where nearly all of the skyrockets burst. A decent tripod on solid ground is steady enough for an 8 second exposure of several fireworks bursts if you use a flexible cable release. I usually use the first two or three skyrockets for aiming. If necessary I'll change lenses to a shorter or longer one. Having the camera sideways on the tripod increases altitude coverage (some rockets go higher than others).

Once set I rarely change the camera position unless it becomes very clear it needs to be aimed again. I might check the viewfinder every three or four frames. The closely cropped shots of fireworks are usually just that, closely cropped from a larger image. It's almost impossible to tell exactly how high one will go. How wide a lens you will need depends on how close you are to the fireworks show. This might require some experimentation.

If you're using color negative, then the printer needs to print them properly. Some operators of one-hour labs (I'm not a big fan of them) will just let the machine run on "rock 'n roll." With as much dark region as there is in fireworks shots, this can result in the prints being too light. A good printer will adjust the print exposure properly for them.

-- John