RE: Reciprocity of Fuji Sensia/Provia was: [OM] Taking pictures of Mars

Subject: RE: Reciprocity of Fuji Sensia/Provia was: [OM] Taking pictures of Mars
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:33:23 +0200
Hi,

> I have used Sensia 100 the consumer version of Provia recently and I was
> amazed at how good it was with long exposures.
> In fact one shot that I made with aperture f16 that went for well over 2
minutes came out
> with no obvious colour casts whatsoever. The green lawn was a perfect
green and the
> scene looks amazingly like what I remembered it that night. An amazing
film for night
> shots. I don't know if one can generalise it to Provia but I think it
would not be
> unreasonable to believe Provia would be as good.

I have experimented with several slide films, amongst which two rolls of
Sensia II 100 ASA (e.g. my TOPE 4 shot). My conclusions were that Provia
100F works nicely for me (big surprise, eh? ;) ), and that on cloudy days
E100VS would have preference. Nonetheless, I haven't taken any night shots
that were really long exposures, so I wonder how these films compare in that
respect. I too would guess that Provia 100F would work well for long
exposures, but this is an intuitive guess, as I have yet to try it. We'll
see what'll happen. Today the "electricity is in the air" in a quite litaral
way, IOW thunder and lighning is imminent very soon. Hopefully we'll get
some good thunderstorms when it's completely dark outside. If so, I'll
definitely try to repeat my TOPE 2 shot on slide film, which may then
require an exposure that's long enough to exceed the Provia 100F reciprocity
boundary...

> What's even more amazing is that the Sensia had been sitting in my camera
bag for a year
> before I used it... and was loaded and unloaded many times. I was
expecting bad results
> but was amazed when I got it back from the lab.

Ah yes, I too found that film can take a lot of abuse :) I've used expired
rolls of film that have been carried around in my backpack through various
hot parts of the world, then went several times through airport X-ray
machines, yet the results never really seemed to have been influenced by
this :) A more recent example is a roll of K64 which was given to me by
Giles, I believe the expiration date was somewhere in 1997; it was sent by
mail, then lay in my cupboard for a while, then it made its way to my
camera, when it was almost full it was dragged in the camera to the south of
Spain, aftre removing it from the camera it has simply been stored in the
cupboard of the appartment we rented (in sunny south Spain), then it was
dragged back to The Netherlands, was sent in, etc. The results? Not a trace
of weird colours; nothing :)

> I can't wait to see what my latest roll is going to look like. It has
shots I made for
> the TOPE 6 and I'm up to frame 26 so it shouldn't be long before I develop
the roll.

Excellent, if you can get a submission to me within two weeks time from now,
it can still go live :)

Cheers!
Olafo