Re: [OM] Protecting film while traveling

Subject: Re: [OM] Protecting film while traveling
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:52:33 -0600
At 11:37 PM 6/26/2001 -0400, Bill Barber wrote:
>I will be taking a 10 or 12 day trip this summer and will be taking several
>domestic flights going and coming.  What suggestions might list members have
>about traveling with exposed and unexposed film and going through the
>security systems at the airport?

On my recent trip to France, I put all of my film into a ziplock bag (after
removing them from their containers), and then asked for hand-inspection of
said film.  Everywhere I went, this request was honoured, *except* for the
return flight from Charles de Gaulle to Toronto (the final leg from Toronto to
Edmonton was okay).  The inspectors at CDG treat a request for hand inspection
like an insult to the Power and Glory That Is France.  So, even though my film
went through four security checkpoints, it only got x-rayed once.  To date, I
can detect no problems with the exposed slides.  Mind you, I think inspectors
at CDG are lazy, surly morons...

Garth