Re: #2494 Re: [OM] Protecting film while traveling

Subject: Re: #2494 Re: [OM] Protecting film while traveling
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:31:26 EDT
"Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<< My suggestion?  Don't worry about it.  Unless you're going through
security a LOT, it shouldn't matter (unless it is 1000ASA or more).
You could put it in your checked baggage, but even that is xrayed at some
airports.
Someone suggested recently putting it all in a ziplock (out of the plastic
containers) and asking for a hand search. Might be a good idea. >>

I noticed that Fuji Superia 1600 ASA fim box has a warning saying "PROTECT
 FROM X-RAYS !!" in 4 languages.

I took about 20 films on a my once in a lifetime(?) trip to the States in
1983.
 Several went through X-Rays at Heathrow Airport london. For some reason,
 one film was fogged but the others were all OK. I think I may have fogged
that film myself at some other time -I will never know.

At some US airports they X-Rayed our baggage as far as I remember, and
 I put all the films in a clear plastic bag and handed them to an attendant.
I dont think anyone ever opened any of the canisters or even the bag - things
 may be different now.

All the films I bought in the States were therefore passed through customs
 this way. But none were above 400 ASA for negs or 200 ASA for slides.

If not sure, maybe it would be good to stick with slower film, just in case!

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/