RE: [OM] Taking pictures of Mars

Subject: RE: [OM] Taking pictures of Mars
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:20:00 +0200
Hi,

Some more eurocents on this one:

[Bernd]

> I've been using Provia 100F for several long exposures with good
> results. Lighting sources were the ambient light in the Norvegian
> mountains just before midnight, late evening light in autumn in
> Denmark, the latter supplied with different articical light
> sources. I've never observed reciprocity problems with that film.

That's good to hear. I took Scott's advise and simply looked around a bit on
the net and quickly stumbled upon the following page that has a table with
reciprocity data for several Fuji and Kodak films:
http://www.photo.net/photo/nature/reciprocity

>From there, one can quickly access the Provia 100F datasheet too (by going
to the Fuji page first):
http://home.fujifilm.com/products/datasheet/pdf/AF3-036E.pdf
Indeed, reciprocity failure apparently occurs when exposures fall out of the
1/4000 - 2 min. boundaries.

I compared this against the Ektachrome data, and found the following:
http://kodak.com/cluster/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e31/e31.sht
ml
For E200, E100SW, E100S apparently the reciprocity boundaries are 1/10000 -
10 sec. Oddly enough I see no mention anywhere of E100VS, but I assume it
will be similar to the data for E100S.

> vacation in Norway in february: www.i4.auc.dk/berndm/norge .
> Among other pictures, there is one with the full moon shining
> onto our cabin.

Aaaaah, you mean picture nr. 2, yes that's definitely a killer-shot; very
nice!

> I'll be off-list for the next week; I'm on my way out to shoot a rock
festival.

Would that happen to be Roskilde? Also (please answer off-list if the reply
will be long and off-topic), did you ever take pictures of an Iron Maiden
show?

[Rainer]

http://www.astrofilm.de/.
>I guess they would ship to the netherlands, or you could even ask me...
they
>sit in Dueren, very close to my home.

I had a quick look there, and indeed it appears to be a rather difficult and
long process, interesting. For now, I'll first try regular Provia 100F
though, as apparently that works very well.

[Wiliam]

>The astrophotography folks say the latest consumer Ektachrome E200 has very
low
>reciprocity failure.

I too have noticed that this film is mentioned in several places.
Nonetheless, the reciprocity failure (according to the data sheets) starts
at 10 sec. This doesn't strike me as being a particularly long exposure.
Nonetheless, apparently one can use certain filters (indicated in some of
the links given above) to compensate for the reciprocity failure, so perhaps
that (in addition to the 200 ASA vs. the 100 ASA, and potentially other
favourable characteristics) is the main reason why this film is often used
for this type of photography...

[Dave]

>The only *real* way around reciprocity failure is to shorten the exposure
time.

2 min. exposures should be fine then, I can hardly imagine situations in
which much longer exposures are required (that is: for the type of
photography I normally do).

>When doing night photography in B&W, I've had good success "painting" areas
>with a flashlight when it's obvious I'm not going to pull any detail out
>with the exposure I'm using.
>Mars is a ways off.  Got a really, really big flashlight?

Hmmmmm, lemme have a look-see in the attic... ;)

Cheers!
Olafo