Re: [OM] Re: #2496 a drop-in CCD device for use with an ordinary 35mm c

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: #2496 a drop-in CCD device for use with an ordinary 35mm camera.
From: "Michael Humberston" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:27:23 +0100
On 28 Jun 2001, at 10:45, DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I saw one of these pictured in a newspaper Sunday Supplemet or
>  Amateur Photographer or something about 2 years ago. I thought,
>  "What a neat idea!", and I have never seen it since!

I've lost count of the number of announcements of imminent
availability that I've seen in computer magazines, photography
magazines and Sunday newspaper supplements, not to mention the
posting and discussion on rec.photo.digital and elsewhere.

Their web site makes no mention of a release date and their "General
Disclaimer" can be read as indicating that all statements on the site
about the products are just hot air.

I can't help but wonder if they have done any development work beyond
that necessary to be able to file a bunch of reasonably watertight
patents and are now doing no more than generate hype in the hope that
one of the large photo corporations takes up some of their ideas and
take out licenses for the use of their patents.

Even if that isn't the case I can't imagine where they are going to
find a market.  The price of the product is much too high for it to
be of interest to the lower end of the digital photography market
where quality is not really an issue.  The very low resolution of
their product surely means that it is going to be of little interest
to the SLR users who form the higher end of the consumer market and
who can get far better image quality digital images at a lower price
by purchasing a film scanner.

Mike