Re: [OM] OMs in Action

Subject: Re: [OM] OMs in Action
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:48:11 -0700
At 10:07 AM 6/29/01 -0600, Garth wrote:

>>Is this the plane nicknamed the "Widowmaker" on account of its multiple
>>crash record?
>
>No, that would be the Lockheed CF-104 "Starfighter," a single-engine
needle-nosed brute with stubby triangular-shaped wings (with the tip of the
triangle "clipped").  If the engine failed, it had really crappy glide
characteristics (read: "NONE").  Went down like a brick.  Tended to be used
a lot by Canadian pilots in Western Europe during the Cold War for
low-flying sorties, and when the engine died...

>Once met a Canadian Forces pilot who told me that out of his original
flight class, only he and one other guy were still alive.  All the others,
supposedly, had been lost in Starfighter accidents.  Have no idea how true
this story is...

Actually this was one of the "rumors" that floated heavily. While Canadians
had their fair share of "incidents" with the 104 it was actually the
Luftwaffe who lost many, many pilots in both training accidents and ops.
Canadians stationed in Germany at the time watched in awe and hence one of
the 104's nicknames. The other was the "Flying Prostitute" - the aircraft
had "no visible means of support" with the short wingspan. As a side note
the leading edges of the wing were so sharp they had special bumpers made
to cover them when the a/c not in use.

Barry H