Re: [OM] OMs in Action - now OT Prostitutes

Subject: Re: [OM] OMs in Action - now OT Prostitutes
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 18:09:20 -0500
The name "Flying Prostitute" has been applied to several types (as has
"Widowmaker) but I believe it was originally coined for the Martin B-26
Marauder.  Despite an appalling loss ratio in training, it had one of the
best combat rates in the European Theater - perhaps because the lesser crews
were weeded out stateside.

OM Content:  I shot the cockpit section of the B-26 "Flak Bait" in the
Smithsonian A & S Museum week before last (OM-4T, 24/2.8).  It is awaiting
construction of the Dulles exhibition hall to be joined with the rest of the
airplane, now in storage at the Garber facility.  One of my wife's elderly
colleagues flew a full tour in B-26s from England.  You would never guess it
from his manner now.  There aren't many of those brave men left.

Gary Edwards

people, places, flight at http://members.home.com/garyetx/