Re: [OM] John Lind's TOPE Pic

Subject: Re: [OM] John Lind's TOPE Pic
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 19:27:00 +0000
At 17:34 6/29/01, Clendon Gibson wrote:
An excellant picture. (One amoung many on this round
of TOPE.) But in particular I like the careful
description of how it was made. I certainly would not
have tried using a 28mm in a macro shot.

Now I have to get my 28mm fixed. (Grumble, Grumble.)

Thanks, I had fun doing it (the challenge). The TOPE 4 was done using the 18/3.5 with the 7mm tube as an experiment. (Not the best of photographs, but demonstrates its bokeh behind the subject.)

If you use a tube with a short lens, use a _short_ tube. The OM WA's are retrofocus designs to move the lens forward out of the way of the reflex mirror. Even a 12mm or 14mm tube is too long for the 18/3.5 and places the farthest focus point somewhere inside the lens (at lens infinity focus)!

I suspect they're too long for the 21mm lenses too. You might be able to squeak by with a 12mm or 14mm tube on a 24mm or 28mm lens, but you'll be very, very close to the subject at infinity focus on the lens. This was one of the first things learned when trying a tube with the short lenses (18mm, 24mm and 35mm). It's very easy to bang the front element into the subject material trying to move in close enough to focus. (Fortunately with flowers it doesn't damage the lens.)

-- John