[OM] OT Tallest tree

Subject: [OM] OT Tallest tree
From: "O.C" <oben-nospam-@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 10:42:09 +1000
There was a discussion recently regarding tall trees by Andrew and others. I found the following from 1999 so things may have changed.

"An ancient Californian redwood which towers 112.08m above the forest floor has taken the official title of the tallest living thing in the world. The giant dubbed "the Mendocino Tree" and estimated to be between 600 and 800 years old, is part of a grove called the Montgomery Woods in northern California's redwood country."

For what its worth Australia also has its fair share of tall trees but even more interestingly is that it holds the honour of hosting a small patch of the most ancient tree species living in the world. Called the "Wollemi Pine" a small patch of them was found in the early nineties just outside Sydney and the location has been kept secret while the trees have been studied and propagated. The tree is a member of the Araucaria family.