Re: [OM] OM2 Spot Program - shutter sound

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2 Spot Program - shutter sound
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 18:29:41 -0700
on 6/30/01 5:58 PM, John A. Lind at jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> YES!!!!!
>
> Had Kodachrome in the OM-2S for some scenics tomorrow and Reala in the
> OM-1n for some fireworks late this evening.  Went to a wedding this
> afternoon and wanted to do some B/W shots for them.  Since the other two
> bodies were already loaded I pulled out the Contax IIIa (CD) and loaded it
> up with B&W +400.  Oh, the shutter sound at the 1/50th X-sync.  No mirror
> slap or lens stopdown noise; just the melodious sound of its mechanical
> timing with the heavy metal shutter curtains.  Even at 1/50th you can hear
> the syncopation of the two curtains traveling (1/25th is even nicer, but it
> F-syncs at that speed).  Each shot was music to my ears.  The OM-2S has a
> pleasing sound and the OM-1n is sweet, but I agree there is NOTHING like
> the sound of the Zeiss Ikon Contax shutter!!!

I think the sound of the old Leicas is pretty sweet too. The OM-2s has that
little extra 'flop-scklops' as the two mirrors fold together, for an SLR its
about as sweet as I have heard... of course the OM-4 has that sound, too.
The old Leicas (I have a IIIg) are almost silent, just a 'click-tick' and
you're done. Even better when the clockworks wind a little, on the slow
speeds... 'click-bzzzzz-tick'.

When I got my first OM, after using the Leica for a year, it took some
getting used to. One OM thing that was immediately familiar was the smooth
working of the knobs, dials, etc. The feel of using the camera is a big part
of the pleasure of photography for me, so I don't like the modern
plastic-fantastic cameras quite as much. My 'pocket camera' is an XA...

Jim Brokaw
OM-ing my way to financial ruin...