Re: [OM] Migs now well OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Migs now well OT
From: "Mark Hammons" <astaire@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 20:26:33 -0500
> >Gary Edwards wrote:
> >>
> >> See http://www4.ncsu.edu/~caltino/migcrash.htm
> >
> >Two crashes and two ejections! Some plane, some pilot!
>
> yea.... say, what's a high alpha pass? and how did the plane get so nose
> down? i mean, only one
engine failed right? up the other, trim the tail,
> and go for emer. landing. if it wasn't an eject, i would suspect he was doing
> a "nose down" cobra
maneuvre (if they even do it nose down, i
> know they normally do it nose up)
>
> /Acer V
> --

Alpha is the angle between the the plane's nose and its forward velocity vector.

The right engine went out.  There wasn't enough control authority on the
rudders to compensate for the yaw induced by the left engine.  The plane
slowly yawed the the right and had its nose point downward.  That
pilot probably would not have survivied if he had waited another 1/2
second to get out.

The video of this is very cool -- I remember seeing on TV several times.
I bet its on the web somewhere.

Mark H.