Re: [OM] (Now [OT]) Hg cell shelf life?

Subject: Re: [OM] (Now [OT]) Hg cell shelf life?
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:02:59 -0700
andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The last time a student broke a mercury thermometer at my workplace, the
> clean-up protocols were so stringent and lengthy that the school
> immediately replaced all of them with alcohol based thermometers.

Reminds me of when one of my lab students tried to measure the temperature
of a Bunsen burner flame -- with a mercury thermometer instead of the more
usual thermocouple :)  POOF!  I don't know if it prompted a switchover to
alcohol thermometers, but I'm glad I wasn't the one to find all the little
globules of mercury!

Mark Marr-Lyon