Re: [OM] Happy Fourth of July

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy Fourth of July
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 11:18:25 +0000
At 14:53 7/4/01, Rich wrote:
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin
here."  Captain John Parker

Happy Fourth of July, all.  Independence Day here in the U.S.  Enough
explosives will be ignited all over the U.S. and territories today to blow up
the moon.

I'm heading up to Mt. Rainier, for some cooler temps, great views, the solace
of the mountains, and the intoxicating smell of spruce trees.  Fresh
batteries in the OM-2S (and spares in the daypack).  Man, it's hard to decide
which lenses to take!

Rich

Take 'em all!

Fortuitiously, the local fireworks show was last Saturday night coinciding with a street festival. We are having a natural fireworks display (heavy thunderstorms) all day today. A local pro called me at mid-day last Friday. Seems he had convinced one of the local radio stations, a heavy sponsor of the street festival and July 4th fireworks show they needed updated photographs of the pyrotechnics. He had also booked a wedding for Saturday afternoon about 60 miles or so from here.

As last weekend approached he had the sudden realization that he might not get back in time to shoot the fireworks! Wanted to know if I would shoot them for him. I was going to a different, local wedding myself (not as The Photog), checked the time for it again, and realized I could bow out of the reception, change camera gear and clothes, and get to the fireworks show . . . just in time. Told him I'd do the fireworks show. The 2S still has the tail end of some Kodachrome in it (to be finished on a project this weekend). Put the B/W into the Contax and used it for the wedding. Put a roll of Reala into the OM-1n and used it with the 35-105 for the fireworks. Should see the results on Thursday. The OM-1n worked out perfectly for it. The only problem with some of the shots might be some dweeb in a small airplane orbiting the fireworks show in the sky (his running lights were pretty bright). He appeared to be very, very close to some of the skyrockets which went off *above* his low altitude.

For those contemplating doing fireworks relatively close to a show (I've done this before), here's the recommended rig and method:

1.  Equipment:
  a.  Tripod that can hold the camera vertically.
  b.  35mm lens or zoom that covers this length.
  c.  Cable release.
  d.  SLOW film between ISO 50 and ISO 100
2.  Method:
  a.  Load camera with film (always recommended).
b. Set camera to manual mode, shutter speed to "B" (Bulb) and aperture for film speed as follows:
      ISO 50  f/5.6
      ISO 64 - 100  f/8
c. Mount on tripod vertically oriented so you can tilt up at least 45 degrees and level the tripod. (some heads pitch more forward than backward) d. Use the opening couple of skyrockets to aim; ensure groud clutter including street lights are not in the frame (unless you WANT them there). e. Open shutter when you hear rocket launch and hold it open for 1 to 3 skyrockets or about 8 seconds, whichever occurs first. Close shutter and wind to next frame. More than 3 rockets usually clutters the image too much. f. Check your aim occasionally, especially if you some winds kick up or die down during the show (they will move the rockets around a little.)

I also recommend using a lens hood if you have one. Often I encounter street lights out of field of view but still forward of the camera lens (illuminating the front element). Under these conditions try to shade lens. This keeps the lights from causing any flare (especially aperture flare). You might not see it through the viewfinder, but with a long exposure it can still occur.

If you have used negative film, tell the print processor they are fireworks shots and not to blow out (underexpose) the prints.

-- John