Re: [OM] OM2 Spot Program - loose mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2 Spot Program - loose mirror
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 13:44:30 +0000
At 15:56 7/4/01, Bruce Kolber wrote:
Has anyone tried the cement sold in auto stores for reattaching the rearview
mirror to the windshield?

Bruce Kolber
St. Petersburg, FL  33715
USA

The stuff I've seen for this is "two stage" with an application of some really runny stuff before applying the adhesive. Based on my experiences with using it to put two rearview mirrors back onto windshields, I'd be very reluctant to use it in (or on) an OM body.

If there's some other version of this that's much easier to control in minute application (and would not chemically damage anything) it might be some good stuff. The reason "super glue" does not work as a rearview mirror adhesive is "coefficient of thermal expansion" mismatch. The metal slug and windshield glass expand and contract at much different rates when heated and cooled. Cured "super glue" is too brittle; the "CTE mismatch" eventually fractures the bond (usually within days or weeks). Automobile rearview mirror adhesive is slightly pliable when cured and the layer of it "gives" (flows slightly) under this stress.

The reason I mention this (metal and glass CTE mismatch) is it could easily be a failure mode for the adhesive between mirror and frame. Yet one more reason not to let your OM bake inside an enclosed car (or SUV) at mid-afternoon during mid-summer. Also another reason _not_ to try to thaw one quickly if you're bringing it in from severe cold weather (about 20F and below). High thermal extremes and thermal shock is not good for them.

-- John