[OM] Humbling

Subject: [OM] Humbling
From: Peter Leyssens <leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:34:34 +0100
Hi,

I bet most of you know the Curing Lens Envy Homepage
(http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/bronlensenvy.html).  Quite humbling, just after
buying the most expensive camera gear I ever owned.

Ah well.

The principle they explain is one I've used for years, though, after noticing
that even with just a 28/2.8 on the body and a 50/1.8 in my pocket, I hardly
ever get out the other lens.  And suppose I start out with the 50mm, then I
won't use the 28mm.  I'm also strongly against camera bags, since they're
extremely noticable, and they distract your attention from the subject to your
camera gear.  Which, zuikoholickally speaking, is quite understandable, but
still :-)

I guess the 90mm is a bit more heavy than those 2 lenses combined, but that's
even more encouraging to really limit myself to one body + that lens to my next
holiday destination.  OK, a 90mm isn't the most obvious choice, but neither was
the 28mm that I've used by itself quite frequently the last years.  The fact
that it has a close focus is nice, but actually you don't need it to do macro
shots.  I've shot a great macro with the 50mm/f1.8, reversed, handheld.  Yep,
no reversal ring.  I used my fingers to close off most of the light.  Works
great !  It's hanging on a wall in my parents' house, enlarged to 20x30 cm.

Now, time to find out where I'd like to go !

Peter.