Re: [OM] Taking 120 film out of Canada

Subject: Re: [OM] Taking 120 film out of Canada
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 15:42:19 -0600
At 01:36 PM 7/5/2001 -0700, Barry Hinderks wrote:

[snip]

>My experience with our illustrious security may not be typical BUT the last
>time I requested hand inspection I got a lecture from the Security staff
>about how unless the film was ISO 1000 or higher it was pointless as their
>scanners were "totally safe". They re-inforced this by claiming they had
>had Nat'l Geo photogs through who claimed the same thing. Reassuring them I
>didn't care and I know I am entitled (all done pleasantly and not
>confrontationally) they did so - then they subjected me and my camera bags
>to a 20 minute detailed examination during which I was reminded that this
>too is THEIR right. Every lens came off and/or out of the bag, every lens
>cap came off, every accessory was checked in minute detail and the bags
>were totally emptied. YMMV hopefully.

Mine's been much better -- the only two places where hand inspection was
refused were Heathrow and Paris-Charles de Gaulle.  Everywhere in North America
has been fine, as long as the film was out of its canister and in a Ziploc(tm)
bag for ease of inspection.  If not, then I got the "let's take a look-see
through your stuff" approach (this was at Vancouver International Airport).

This is surprising to me, since Edmonton's one of the two main training points
for Canada Customs inspectors, and they're notorious for being harder on people
here than at other ports of entry into Canada...

Garth