Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~

Subject: Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 23:27:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I thought "Ah, it's a T-10 then", but next to the simple on-off rotary switch
> at the rear was the label "T-8 Ring Flash 2"! There were no metal diffusing
> reflectors anywhere, and the unit is front-firing, so I am assuming it is
> really a T-10. Anyway, I tried the flash and it fired OK with the test
> button, and it showed flash ready, correct exposure and overexposure
> indicators with my OM-2S once fitted and tried at different apertures and
> working distances.
>
> 2. Which model is it anyway? Why is it labelled T-8 Ring Flash 2 if it is a
> T-10? The outside part rotates presumably to allow you to screw the unit into
> the 55mm or 49mm filter threads of your lens (again like the T-10).

Are you certain the unit was forward firing?  The T-8 actually fires outwards
(ie. out the sides) and not really backwards.  I compared my T-10 and T-8
and I suppose it would be possible to put the T-10 front housing on the T-8
(the tubes are the same size), but that would be an odd thing to do.

> 3. Is the 49/55mm screw thread attachment common to the T-8 and T-10. Are
> they interchangeable between the two models? That's the only explanation I
> can speculate on, but I dont know the units except from OM brochures. If so
> then the unit I have looked at has been cobbled together, hasn't it, from
> various bits of units lying around, and I could maybe haggle for a real
> bargain since it seems to work! Or just leave it.

The screw mount and flash tube are common between the two units.  If the unit
is forward firing, then someone has done something to it.  I'd pass on it
unless it's very inexpensive.
                                -mark