Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~ - an addition.

Subject: Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~ - an addition.
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 11:40:22 -0400
Cc: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Dave,

2. Which model is it anyway? Why is it labelled T-8 Ring Flash 2 if it is a T-10? The outside part rotates presumably to allow you to screw the unit into the 55mm or 49mm filter threads of your lens (again like the T-10).

Check the flash closely. The modeling lights are in the front, and the flash lights are on the side, firing into the reflectors. I don't think it could have been modified easily. It's probably a T8. SOmone could have switched the stickers though. OTOH, some guys will do anything. It's possible it's been cobbled together. Check and see if the flash head has the T8 bayonet flanges for the reflectors.

That said, A T8 is not much good without the bayonet-mounted reflectors, unless you craft them yourself. If you do create your own, the TTL function will take care of the exposure.

1. I am presuming that without the calculator dial in place, the OM ring flashes operate in TTL mode? Am I correct?

You don't really need a cacluator panel. It doesn't do anything other than give you distance measurements for flash settings, just push the sliding switch all the way to the left for full-manual/TTL. I'm sure someone would get you a scan of a calculator panel if you wanted. Otherwise, they're $40 new!!

If you need more help, contact me offlist at skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx and I can get my T8 and T10 out together tonight and we can talk about the differences.

Skip