Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~ my bet is on a T-10!

Subject: Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~ my bet is on a T-10!
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 23:36:52 EDT
Dear Skip and OM people,

Thanks very much for your replies:

<< So it looks like you've got a T10 head on a T8 rear.  It's really only
 worth the price of a T10 >>

Yes, that's what I have concluded. Thanks for the info. This unit does look
just like every picture of a T-10 I hae found in my Olympus OM brochures,
even as far as the front of the glass flash unit which has a slightly frosted
appearance, presumably to diffuse the light a bit, and also the little
ceramic tube inside the ring flash at the top, which presumably is where the
ring flash tube itself starts and ends.

<< The back says Olympus T8 Ring Flash 2 Japan written on a arc in white
letters. :

Yes, this 'T-8' label on this unit is white on black. Is this the same as
your T-8? And is the on/off switch the same (a sort of rotary knob on 'my'
unit) on the T-10 and T-8? And finally, are the 49mm/55mm filter mounts the
same on the t-8 and T-10?

If so, then I definitely have a T-10 front grafted onto a T-8 rear!

The only other possibility was that someone has deliberately re-labelled a
T-10 as a T-8, possibly to sell it for more money to an unsuspecting soul!
Anyway, apppparently the Jessops shop chain has had this unit floating around
for ages, and another OM list member (John Palmer) has also seen it
apparently, but he had the choice of a genuine unadulterated T-10 instead!

If I can get it for a real bargain, I might buy it, since Jessops always
offer a 12-month guarantee and the unit seems to work fine when I tested it
in TTL flash mode on my OM-2SP in the shop. It would be a nice thing to play
with, since I enjoy doing close-up photographs and would like to do more.

Kind regards,

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/