Re: [OM] 21mm f2 close focus stop

Subject: Re: [OM] 21mm f2 close focus stop
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 09:53:16 -0700
Oben writes:

<< his is a question to people who know about the 21mm f2 lens. I just
got one of these lenses and have noticed that at the 0.20 m close focus
limit the focus ring comes to a 'soft stop'. Its hard to describe but it
literally comes against a slow soft resistance rather than the hard stop
I'm used to on other lenses when turned to the close focus limit. >>

Sounds to me like impact damage to the focusing helical.  I have a 18mm
like that which I got from National Geographic  It was used in a custom
made water-resistent housing and any impact to the housing got
transferred to the filter ring of the lens.  After being down the
Colorado in the Grand Canyon, it got some bumps.  I use the lens
anyways.  Beats writing a frighteningly revealing condition description
on eBay and taking pennies on the dollar.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV