RE: [OM] 21mm f2 close focus stop - 65-200/4 too

Subject: RE: [OM] 21mm f2 close focus stop - 65-200/4 too
From: Walt Wayman <HIWAYMAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 13:25:19 -0400
Olafo writes regarding the 21/2:

>Well, I don't have one yet, but I would certainly love to get
>one (it's ranking nr. 1 on my top 10 list of  most wanted Zuiko's).

The 21/2 is one of my favorites, and I highly recommend it.  Mine comes to
definite hard stops at both extremes of focusing.  As for the lens under
discussion, as long as it performs acceptably otherwise, I wouldn?t
consider the lack of a hard stop much of a problem.  It might turn out to
be a real ?user? bargain.

And Olafo continues:

>Nonetheless, what you describe is something that seems to be
>the case for my 65-200/4 zoom lens. As soon as it hits the
>close-focus section, some friction is definitely noticeable.
>The friction is not heavy and it easily focusses down to the
>close focus distance, yet some resistance is noticeable. Does any
>other 65-200/4 user has more information on this? Is this normal,
>or is it a defect?

What you describe seems normal, or at least that?s the way my 65-200 works.
 When the point of transition to close focus is reached (just past the 1.2
meter/4 foot mark) a slight resistance is felt which, when passed, produces
a barely audible ?tic? sound.  Thereafter, very light resistance, less than
at first, but more than throughout the normal focusing range, remains until
a hard stop and definite ?thock? comes at the limit of close focus.

Walt Wayman