Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~ Episode 2.

Subject: Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10? ~*Ring Flash Mystery*~ Episode 2.
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 19:19:47 EDT
<<Hmmm ... On second thoughts, it seems you've no doubt about their ethics at
all!>>

Quick recap, as is common in mini-series (or maybe "The Prologue"!) ...

I imagined that some seasoned and cynical pro photographer, short of beer
money, on noticing the naive young girl on the counter of their 123rd new
shop, whipped out a few spares from the bottom of his aluminium case and part
exchanged this 'T8' at the T8 p/e price instead of the T-10 p/e price, and
went straight down the pub to get splattered afterwards.

Episode 2 ...
The poor girl, fresh out of school, who wasn't even born when the OM-3, OM-4
and T-8 were launched, will then have to consider his offer to "go out for a
drink later" and also work out what on earth she has just been sold. Her
manager, fresh from her Business Studies course at Edward de Bono University
will not know either, but will assumwe that it is one of those strange old
SLR system gadget thingies from the 70s and 80s when Duran Duran were at the
top of the charts. She will log it on the computer and forget about it.

It will then remain on a desk in the store cupboard for the next 3 years,
until by magic a keen OM fanatic from the other end of the country sees its
presence posted on their website. It will then take a week to find the item
at the original store, and it will be neatly boxed and posted to the store
nearest to its prospective owner, where it will be met by remarks such as
"What's this thing?" by the very nice manageress and her again equally cute
assistant, both expert of course in digital photography and the use and
selling of wonderbrick autofocus cameras.

The unsuspecting customer, hoping to see a pristine T-8 with beautifully
diffusing perfectly formed aluminium reflectors, complete with case and
perfect unscratched T Power Control 1 with a nice coily lead coming out of
it, will be somewhat bemused and disappointed when he sees a T-10 and a
beaten-up TPC1 with no calcultor panel instead.

After listening patiently to remarks like "This isn't _quite_ what I
expected", and "I'm sure this is a T-10", the manageress will point out
courteously that "it actually does say T-8 on the back" of the unit, thinking
that her customer is probably 70s fixated and on drugs and has no idea what
he is talking about.

Possible alternative ending #1:

I hope to have another look at it tomorrow. When I've convinced the
manageress that it's a T-10 and a fake, and bored her to death by showing her
all my OM brochures to prove it, plus maybe the pictures that Mark D. kindly
put on the web to show the differences, plus a couple of the other e-mails
printed out (not yours, don't worry!), and then drummed my fingers on the
counter a bit, ummed and ahh'd, etc., if she offers me the lot for £100 with
a 12 month or preferably 3 year guarantee, I will take it.

Kind regards,

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/