Re: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s

Subject: Re: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:45:02 EDT
In a message dated 7/10/01 3:34:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Was anyone on the list shopping for an SLR in
>  >the early to mid-70s?

I remember looking at the FM and the Pentax..can't remember the letter
designation (as I obviously didn't get it..the MG???) But I also checked out
the huge Minolta's as they were riding high at the time. There was just no
contest when it came to the OM-1.

At the time of the OM-2 it was pretty much down to Nikon or Pentax (Canon
AE-1 came out a couple of years after the OM-2) and i took a quick glance at
the Minolta's, but their "compact" wasn't even close, and then you had a slew
of "wannabe's" like the Fuji Ax-7 (??) that took universal mount but was very
compact..almost got lured into that becasue I had a huge assortment of Vivtar
screw mounts from my Mamiya/Sekor days ( I gave all the lenses to my dad and
HE bought the Fuji, much ot his eternal disappointment for hte rest of his
life..he always lusted after my Olympus...penny wise but pound foolish.. Once
I got the Om-2 (black) in my hands I could NOT get it out of my mind until I
had it at home...it absolutely stole my heart..and still has it to this day
(yes, even over my OM-1 OR OM-4).

Susan Steele
Virginia USA