RE: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s

Subject: RE: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s
From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 08:04:36 -0700
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>From: Robert Winters
>>>Here is my beginning to Zuikoholism:
>>>Bob Winters
>>>Great Northwest

OK, here's my indoctrination.  My first 'real' camera was an Edixa reflex
with a 2.8 50mm lens (I don't even remember the make of the lens) that my
dad gave me to learn on.  It was a great camera, and I still have some
awesome slides that I captured with it over 30 years ago.

A low draft number (on the bubble) had me enlist in the Air Force in 1973,
and I was stationed in Japan in 1976 (Misawa, far North of Honshu).  I was
in the market for a slightly newer camera, and my location provided me with
the ideal opportunity to update.  I, too, looked at C*non and N*kon, but the
OM-1 was so much more camera in such a sweet little package that I couldn't
reasonably choose otherwise.  It cost me the princely sum of 145 USD with
50/1.4 through the base exchange.  Hindsight being 20/20, I now realize that
I should have complemented it with as many auxiliary lenses as my budget
could afford, but I neglected to.  The past 5 years, this list, and E*ay
have seen to correcting that oversight.

Jim