RE: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s

Subject: RE: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:56:40 -0700
I learned on a Kodak rangefinder that I believe was made somewhere in the
early 50s. That and a twin-lens reflex of un-remembered lineage. In the late
60s/early 70s sometime I was given a Sears SLR (that I believe was some sort
of Pentax clone. Screw-mount, anyway...) as a christmas gift, along with a
lens or two.

That Sears served well in many overseas trips while I did a tour in the
Navy, even surviving a swim in Lake Timsah, mid-way down the Suez Canal in
1974.

By 1978, however, I was definitely in the market for something better. As a
new dad living on Navy enlisted pay, the budget was very limited, so I was
pretty obsessive about making the "right" choice. Lots of reading,
questioning and browsing of the camera shops and shows pretty rapidly
convinced me that I couldn't go wrong with the Olympus Om-1n. Small, light
and part of a huge system and, as far as I could determine, a much more
cost-effective investment than the Nikons (the only other seriously
considered choice when all the other research was done).

It served very well (and still does) along with a Winder2 Bounce Grip 2 and
only a 135/3.5 to complement the basic 50/1.8, but early this year, after
about a year of shooting a digital wonderbrick, I had a Zuiko relapse. The
list of great glass and cool bodies is now too long to reproduce here.

There's really nothing new out there to out-perform what Olympus pioneered
in the 70s, IMO. So why not make the most of it? :-)

---
Scott Gomez