[OM] ADITL, DITL, The cat & the fiddle...

Subject: [OM] ADITL, DITL, The cat & the fiddle...
From: "Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:55:11 -0500
Zuiks,

ADITL is upon us...

For the newer members of the list, ADITL is an acronym for A Day In The
Life, a themed shooting exercise for us listees.  It was started back in the
dark ages by a former listee, George Anderson, who conducted it for two
sessions after which Olafo continued it for one session.  While the TOPE was
primarily Olaf's creation, I believe it was inspired in part by the ADITL
and how much fun we had with it.

Links to the previous ADITLs:
http://www.whitneygallery.com/olympus/
http://www.whitneygallery.com/Olympus2/
http://www.millennics.com/olympus/aditl3/

After posting to the list & talking with numerous list members off line,
here is the scenario I've come up with.

ADITL is a temporal thing rather than a thematic thing such as the TOPE.
Both the list & Olafo are doing a superb job with the thematically-oriented
TOPE.  ADITL can give us an opportunity to exercise our shooting skills in
another manner.

ADITL isn't going to continue on the summer/autumn equinoxes as it did
originally.  At least not yet.  This conflicts with the already established
TOPE schedule.  Olafo & I are discussing future TOPE/ADITL dates now.

<Summer> as a theme ain't going to work -- this is an international list and
(Doh!) not all of us are in the midst of summer. I'm still adjusting to the
fact that Texas isn't the center of the universe... <g>

A specific time of day isn't going to work because some of us are sleeping
or working or crocheting or whatever.

So!

There's been talk on the list recently regarding Henri Cartier-Bresson's
"Decisive Moment" -- taking a photograph that captures an instant of an
event that both explains the subject matter and conveys what the
photographer sees while there.  Per Bresson, "To take photographs means to
recognize?simultaneously and within a fraction of a second?both the fact
itself and the rigorous organization of visually perceived forms that give
it meaning. It is putting one's head, one's eye, and one's heart on the same
axis. . . . To take photographs is to hold one's breath when all faculties
converge in the face of fleeing reality. It is at that moment that mastering
an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy."

While Bresson was a street photographer, I believe this theory can apply to
many subjects -- a "perfect" set of waves on the coast, the first second the
morning sun backlights the flower in the field behind your house, Shelby
Scales' kick of the soccer ball to win the championship, etc.  Use your
camera to pluck a moment out of time that excites/stimulates/moves you, with
the intent of allowing the viewer of the photo to feel the same way.

Personally, this is going to be a stretch for me.  I'm used to landscapes &
studio work, where the subject moves little if at all and, if it does,
there's always duct tape or superglue <g>.  One of my chief motivations for
participating in the ADITLs and TOPEs is that they give me an opportunity to
stretch my photographic "wings" and try something that I have not done
before.

I picked this topic in order to get something going and provide the list
with a decent ramp-up time.  After we get going on the current shoot, we can
begin the decision process on subsequent ADITL subjects.

Here's the mechanics:
Shooting interval: 7/27 through 7/29.  If your life/schedule prevents that,
then get as close to that as you can.  In any case, shoot in time to have
your shots scanned & to me by the submission deadline.

Submission deadline: 8/28.  If at all possible, get the shots in to me by
then.  I'll be posting entries to the website prior to then so we can see
how things are developing.

Submission guidelines: Same as for the TOPE.  Olafo has gracefully allowed
me to use his TOPE logic and code and I'll be shamelessly availing myself of
it for the ADITL.  Hardware descriptions, photographer comments, etc. will
all be included in addition to a provision to allow viewers to comment on
the photo.  Photographer names will be kept confidential until the full
gallery posting no later than 8/30.  Acer, I'll provide you with advance
names for a modest fee. <G>

Submission address: Mail all submissions to ADITL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  I've set
up a dedicated mail account for these submissions.

ADITL Gallery: Will now be located at http://www.finestlight.com  This is my
fledgling website and will soon include the ADITL gallery.  Don't let the
website's appearance frighten you -- save that for my photography.  The
site's got a ways to go but I'm pounding hard on it.

Thanks!

Dave