Re: [OM] Infrared Films.....

Subject: Re: [OM] Infrared Films.....
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:56:41 -0400
Cc: maximiliano.pagliero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Run a search on Google, etc for Infrared Photography. There are lots of good resources on the 'net. More than I can list.

I also have a nice book: Infrared Photography Handbook by Laurie White. I got it off Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-keywords=infrared
                   0hotography&bq=1/ref=aps_more_b_1/104-1791280-5696726

Also, this month in the U.K. magazine Amatuer Photographer there is a large article on Infrared Photgraphy with notes on B&W and Color. I'm about to toss the magazine. Send me your address and I'll try and rescue it from the trash. Otherwise I'm sure you can fine a copy in Sweeden. I also remember a nice article on Infrared photography in the U.S. magazine PHoto Technicques 1-2 yrs ago that was good.

In short:

Films: Kodak High Speed Infrared (faster, more grain), Konica 750(slower, less grain, less infrared sensitivity), and anothher German film that I can't recall. Color: only Kodak Ektachrome Infrared.

Filters: 25A to start with, deeper filters like 87C for more dramatic effects. The special infrared filters are expensive though. The spectral sensitivity for different films, see the resources for details.

Results: wide variation depending on filtration, subject, and processing. Typically makes very dense negatives. Exposure determined from experience, experimentation, and braketing. Don't use Canon Autofocus cameras, they fog the film with some sort of internal infrared device.

***BIG GOTCHA **** Make sure you take the film in/out of the canister and load/unload the camera in COMPLETE DARKNESS (like a changing bag). Otherwise, you'll get fogged film.

Have fun

Skip