[OM] Infrared Films.....

Subject: [OM] Infrared Films.....
From: nrky@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 18:02:27 -0500
Hi Maximiliano,

I just souped my first roll of Kodak's HIE (B&W) last weekend, haven't
had
a chance to do any prints, but the negs seem to be printable (not dense
or
thin) and I am anticipating some good stuff out of this first roll.

Mako is the other film that Skip forgot, I haven't tried anything other
than the
HIE so can't help you there...one of the sites you'll find on your search
has
side-by-side comparisons of the various films...definately check out the
web-ring that's out there.

Skip's warning about total darkness is way dead on --uhhhhh--
correct...at least for
HIE.

Oly content:  Used OM-4 with a Tiffin Red 25 screw-in filter on a 24/2.8
for most of the
shots I took, film rated at 350 ISO.  I used manual mode and bracketed
most shots
+1/-1 stop.  For the most part, the neg that had the most info was the
one the camera
suggested...YMMV.

On the same website (don't have the URL-it's at work) there's a FAQ about
all sorts of
stuff related to equiptment for IR...a fault that Oly stuff has is that
the film pressure plate
is dimpled, which can lead to a pattern of dots on the film as the
dimples reflect IR
-really- well, and as HIE has no anti-halation backing, IR just bounces
off of the plate
and back onto the film.  I saw no evidence of this on my first try, but I
didn't have an 87C
either...
There is a way around the dimpled pressure-plate problem - just tape some
backing
paper from a roll of 120 film onto the plate and don't worry about it.

Hope this helps...

Bill  >; P
"Life unfolds on a great sheet called Time (film)*,
and once finished (developed)* is gone(here)* forever..."
*provided ya have a good archival system in place.