Re: [OM] 100mm f2

Subject: Re: [OM] 100mm f2
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:55:57 +0000
At 14:53 7/11/01, Dave D wrote:
In a message dated 7/11/01 6:34:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

such a big lens
can't escape from the eyes of my wife :-(

Nothing, no matter how infinitessimally miniscule, escapes the other half's "new-addition-to-John's-'stuff'-detector." Unless full disclosure and warning that said item will enter the house, so it can be properly entered into the inventory of items not to be detected, the alarm that goes off rivals the klaxons in a nuclear power plant warning of imminent melt-down. The dialog that follows setting off this alarm resembles Monty Python's "Spanish Inquisition" sketch and operates under Napoleonic Law. Most troublesome are the occasions (admittedly few) of false alarm. The only redemption to be had is a full confession followed by immediately making photographs of all manner of objects, near and far, clearly using the item in question, that the other half wants and enjoys. Then, and only then, is absolution possible.

My wife's eyebrows have just come down to mormal level.  I walked through the
room with the 300/4.5 I bought from Tom S.  "When did you get that? & "What
did it cost?" etc.  Only thing that is saving my life is the pictures I make
of grandaughter.  Haven't figured out how to best use the 300mm for that so I
am under the gun.

Dave D

The 300/4.5 can be used outdoors to make very nice shots of clusters of flowers, etc. I suggest you also explore artsy type subject material your wife enjoys. It's minimum focus is close enough to completely fill the frame with objects about 2'x3' in size. When used at that distance at f/4.5 or f/5.6 it can create a very, very out of focus background.

-- John