Re: [OM] 100mm f2

Subject: Re: [OM] 100mm f2
From: "k.matsumoto" <matsumoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:12:38 +0900
> I probably will never get the 85/2, 50/2 nor the 20/2, or 35/2.

ARE YOU SURE?

Every pro photographer I know owns/uses a lot/highly recommends the
35/2.

50/2 is one of the super-Zuikos with quality/taste like a German
lens. Many people I know are saving money to buy a new one. A 50 mm
lover needs all three (1.2/1.8/2)(others discontinued).

85/2 is not a razor sharp lens but produces very charming pictures.
It's also a f2 series lens with floating elements compacted into 49
mm filter size and 260 grams and ... I can't live without it! Those
who want a new one should capture one immediately because it's
fading from the market.

WARNING: 100/2 is sometimes too sharp for portraits unless you want
to take all the pores in her skin IMHO.

> I want a like new in the box 40/2 and would consider swapping a
> similar 21/2 for one maybe.

I have the 40/2 and it's a nice lens but I think it's not worth the
premiumed price today. I bought it new for about 90 USD in 1987. The
list price of the 21/2 is 132,000 yen (1064.5 USD) today...

kazuya matsumoto