Re: [OM] Well, sometimes you just get hosed...

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, sometimes you just get hosed...
From: "Chris O'Neill" <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 07:50:17 -0600
Just outta curiosity, Garth, how much did those bandits at UPS rip you
off for "brokerage" fees?  I got nailed with a $35 fee on a $100 camera
'bout a year ago.  I will NOT have anything sent UPS anymore, even if
that means cancelling the deal (if the buyer insists on UPS) and getting
negative feedback.

Sorry to hear you got bit.  It happens once in a blue moon.  Hurts when
it does, but then there'll be that "steal of a deal" later that'll make up for
it.

Regards,

Chris

On 11 Jul 2001, at 15:15, Garth Wood wrote:

> At 04:02 PM 7/11/01 -0400, Doggre@xxxxxxx ("Rich") wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >No chance of returning for a refund?  Was it an "as is" sale?
>
> No.  The item was described as "Mint".  *That* shocked me -- when you
> describe something as "Mint," in *my* mind, that means "There is simply no
> damage or issue of any kind worth mentioning at all, period."  No fungus,
> no scratches, no delamination, no misalignment, nada, bugger-all, nothing,
> zip, zilch, sweet tweet, not a sausage.  And for the two items *I*
> described as Mint and subsequently sold on eB*y, I went over those damn
> things with a loupe, a dust gun and methanol.
>
> >Moral of story:  Discipline.  Have a set of standards by which you decide
> >to bid or not, and STICK TO THEM, NO MATTER WHAT.  Pay attention to those
> >little "red flags" and funny feelings in your gut.
>
> Well, didn't have any of those gut feelings, but I did violate my own
> (published) standards.  Including shipping, UPS' "brokerage fees," GST and
> of course the item's original auction price, I'm out about $400.00 CDN.
>
> I'll be lucky if I get $100.00 for it, all told.  C'est la vie, I guess.
>
> Garth

---
Chris O'Neill (chris@xxxxxxxxx)
http://www.joinco.ca