Re: [OM] [OT]WAS ALERT, NOW Snake Identification

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT]WAS ALERT, NOW Snake Identification
From: "Chris O'Neill" <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:11:13 -0600
I've watched this little OT discussion of snakes with some interest.  My
personal rule-of-thumb is, "If it looks *anything* like a snake, stay the
hell out of it's way!"  ;-)))  'Nuther words, you'll never see *me* getting
close 'nuff to one to determine whether (or not) the damned stripes are
touching!

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  Same thing goes for lizards, too....  *unless* Mr. Sparks has
"processed" them beforehand!  Then and *only* then will I get close to a
snake or lizard!  :-)))

On 12 Jul 2001, at 8:02, mike m. wrote:

> Andrew are there any non venomous snakes in OZ? :>)
> In the US the coral is confused with the Scarlet King snake and the
> Scarlet snake
> two very beneficial snakes. All have red black and yellow stripes. If
> the red and yellow stripes touch, its a Coral snake and while rarely
> lethal its not a lot of fun if you happen to get bit.
> When I was 30 I was out scouting a place to deer hunt during the early
> fall. Sat down to rest on the side of a ridge and put my right hand down on
> the ground to lean on and placed it right into the open mouth of a
> Copperhead. It was perfectly camouflaged in the leaves that had fallen and
> I never saw the snake until it bit me. Luckily it only bit me with one fang
> right in that little piece of skin between the thumb and first finger. I
> have never been in such pain before. The first couple of hours my arm felt
> like it was on fire. The pain went away after the first day but my hand and
> arm remained swollen for a week. Of course if you get bit in Australia
> there is probably very little pain involved, more like quick death!!
>
> later,
> mike m.
>
> andrew fildes wrote:
> >
> > Oh, except the Tiger, and the Krait of course!
> > AndrewF

---
Chris O'Neill (chris@xxxxxxxxx)
http://www.joinco.ca