Re: [OM] [OT]WAS ALERT, NOW Snake Identification

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT]WAS ALERT, NOW Snake Identification
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:51:52 +1000
>andrew fildes wrote:
>>-- snip --
> Now would you care to guess
>> what the most dangerous animal in Australia is (the one that kills more
>> than any other in any given year)?
>> AndrewF
>
>The Funnel web spider.  Makes our black widow and brown recluse look
>like amateurs.
>
>Jerry Liles

Nasty bugger, very aggressive but doesn't kill too many, especially since
an anti-venene was developed. We have a close relative of the black widow -
the redback, which was only moderately unpleasant (notorious for hiding
under outdoor toilet seats) but there's some evidence that they have cross
bred with black widow tourists down at the docks and the hybrids are now
significantly unpleasant.
Not as poisonous as the little blue ringed octopus or the cone shell,
neither of which is the most dangerous critter in terms of victims. Keep
guessing. This is one I challenge people with when their eco-paranoia gets
out of hand!
AndrewF