Re: [OM] mirror lens and #1-7 screen

Subject: Re: [OM] mirror lens and #1-7 screen
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:28:17 EDT
Dear Andrew / Bruce,
<< Bruce
 I was going to ask if anyone on list had the TamronSP 500/8 mirror as I
 just picked one up fairly cheaply - already had the matched doubler. >>

I have had a Tamron 500mm f/8 for about 6 years now - I have used it from
time to time and liked it once I got used to f/8 lenses. I didn't change my
OM-4Ti screen brecause I dont use slower telephotos a lot.

Sitting at the top of a Cornwall beach reading a book on Mahler(!) in 1994, I
took some nice and very clear shots of my mates surfing, but there were no
embarrassing wipeouts!

I also used it for the total lunar eclipse late last Summer 2000, using
exposure guidelines from eclipse books and bracketing quite a lot, also some
attempts at spot metered auto mode witht he OM-4Ti to find out what it gave.
Standard screen again.

I have never used the 2x converter with it, but I might get one someday - of
course, that would take it to f/16, which would probably necessitate a change
of screen, but it depends on the subject I guess.

I noticed that the focussing goes 'beyond infinity' which I guess is common
with long telephotos. I had to get used to this a bit, but I have since found
it easy enough to focus on the matte screen background with both the lunar
and daytime subjects.

I've not encountered any problems like you described with the Celestron 300
Bruce:

<< I bought a Celestron 300/5.6 mirror lens because it is very compact. A
T-mount, but since it doesn't change aperture anyway this is fine. ...
the viewfinder is almost unusable. The image is
severely vignetted, resulting in a circular image about 1/3 of the screen
width only in the middle of the finder. The microprisms are blacked out, and
the fresnel is very visible.

What's a T-Mount? Does this have any bearing on the problem, given that the
mirror lenses have quite a significant central obstruction?

Kind regards,

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/