Re: [OM] Mirror lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lenses
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 17:50:28 +1000
Thanks for the comments. 'Lower contrast' is probably good news, seeing as
it's hard to imagine actually using it in anything but hard light. Should
knock down the doughnuts a bit!
I picked up a bunch of 30.5mm filters for it but notice that there is a
Tamron 'Normal' filter with it which appears to have no effect - like a
protection filter. Seems odd as it's not protecting a delicate front
element but I have a very vague memory of reading that mirror lenses
'prefer' optically to have a filter in place so that a 'no-change' filter
should be used when you aren't using a neutral density or other type. I
know that Nikon make a 39mm NC filter for the back carrier of their big
lenses too so it sounds plausible.  Anyone know if this is true?
AndrewF