Re: [OM] Filter brands and types

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter brands and types
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 08:20:03 +1000
>Just a question regarding filters for Zuiko's.
>
>What brand filters do people use specifically:
>
>1. on super wides to avoid vignetting?
>2. on other lenses to protect front element and yet have minimal additional
>flare?
>3. Is there such a thing as a slim line circpol filter?
>
>I'm not really a fan of filters even for lens protection as I have some old
>Hoya filters that increase flare  and reduce contrast considerably but I
>had a close call with my 50/1.2's front element so I'm back to wanting to
>use them.
>
>Any recommendations on the issues above?
>
>Oben

B+W if I can get them - Mainline Photographic in Crow's Nest, Sydney, are
the agent and they'll gladly send you a catalogue and price list -
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - new, about AU$42 for standard and AU$63 for
MRC UV filters in a 49mm size, which is about what I've seen as BIN prices
on ebay lately! Heliopan are also good. Both these brands are brass rings,
so they don't tend to bind like some. Secondhand Nikon L37c filters are
quite nice too interms of coating (thats the 'c') and Hoya are OK but
neither are as well made and they aren't much cheaper, if at all.
1. B+W make special superwide filters - you can get the same effect with a
step up ring and larger dia. filter. I used a 62mm on a 21/3.5 without
vignetting, although the hood then becomes a problem.
2. B+W UV 010 MRC.
3. Yes - most have no front threads and are about half the depth of a
regular pol. and twice the price.
AndrewF