Re: [OM] Mirror lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lenses
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 15:42:01 -0700
on 7/14/01 9:15 AM, Gary Reese at pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Andrew:
>
> Only an instruction sheet with a catadioptric (mirror) lens can tell you
> for sure if it requires a "filter" in the optical path.  But it is
> commonly encountered in telephoto and catadioptric lens designs with
> drop in filters.  The Tamron filters screw into the rear of the Tamron
> SP catadioptric lens, so their need would be less obvious and I can't
> say for sure on those.
>
> The need for a filter can be a pain in the butt with used equipment. I'm
> waiting on a neutral drop-in filter for a Minolta AF 500mm f/8, before I
> can sell it.  I also ordered a ND2X filter, which Minolta USA indicated
> was one of only two in stock and not to be replenished.  Not a good sign
> for a lens still in production!
>
> Gary Reese
> Las Vegas, NV

You can usually screw a filter onto the front of the mirror lens... but it
will need to be pretty big (and therefore expensive). Of course, if the
optimal optic configuration requires that a filter or piece of glass be in
the internal location then you have a problem if it is "no longer
available."

Completely side note -- I tried Olympus for the lens shade/filter adapter
for a 18/3.5 lens, and it is "no longer available". John at Camtech also
said he doesn't have one... anybody know of one available at a
semi-reasonable price? I've been watch in e*ay but have not seen one come up
since I got the lens...
--

Jim Brokaw