Re: [OM] Filter brands and types

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter brands and types
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 02:50:17 -0700
Well, I have not stated that Tiffen and B+W are necessarily superior to one brand or another. Indeed, I stated clearly that I've never worked with the Hoya line and so I have no opinion either way. For all I know Hoya could be superior to both Tiffen and B+W, for all I know Vivitar filters represent state of the art. For all I know Tiffen and B+W filters could be the two worst-functioning and over-priced brands on the market.

That's for all I know.

What I know for sure is that I've only purchased Tiffen or B+W in the 25 years I've devoted to photography. I also know I've never been disappointed with any purchase from either company. I did (quite recently) receive shipment on a Tiffen Sky 1-A which I had ordered for my daughter's kit that I'm getting together, and this lens did come rattling in its mount. This is, however, the first time I've experienced any such defect from either Tiffen or B+W products, and I immediately sent this lens back to the vendor (along with some other stuff, some of which I had not even ordered, one item came in the wrong thread size, etc.) and fully expect to be given full credit. Or else.

The vendor I speak to here, by the way, is Adorama out of New York. I will not go into a lot of detail, but my first business with this outfit will be my last, if that's any clue. Furthermore, based on my one-time dealings with this shop it would not surprise me in the least to learn that the broken Tiffen filter sent to me was some sort of return from another customer, palmed off on the next "unsuspecting" customer, or something similar. But then you might expect nothing less from a company which cannot get simple orders straight, a company which "loses" lenses overnight, a company which cannot ship new product listed to be in stock in a timely manner, a company which, when a customer calls in to ask what's going on with his order, is greeted by a sales person eager not to make the original order right but rather to sell this customer, out of thin air . . . a 500mm lens!

By the way, the filters I bought 25 years ago from Tiffen and B+W are still with me and functional. I've tossed one or two along the way after trashing them, but that was on me.

Tris