Re: [OM] Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanners
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 08:08:43 -0500
Tom,
Ian Lyons has posted on the Filmscanners list that the SS120 is superior to the SS4000 in nearly every respect for 35mm, so I'd consider it an upgrade anyway. Perhaps you are right and there will be a new model strictly for 35mm, but I have my doubts. Having broken the MF threshold where film still indisputably beats digital, they can scarcely go back, but what do I know? This is such a small, specialized market. How many machines can they put out there? They are certainly expensive: in the $2500-3000 range I believe. There has been a civil but spirited discussion of the merits of the SS120 vs the Nikon ED8000 on the filmscanners list, without the usual Nikon/Polaroid//Mac/PC//Ford/Chevy dichotomies. The thing that Nikon has (in addition to its leviathan corporate muscle and name recognition) that the SS120 doesn't is digital ICE for dust and scratch removal. David Hemingway of Polaroid has indicated that serious photographers have not given this high priority, so Polaroid doesn't include it. This may be a calculated risk that will hurt them because people who like ICE really like it and crow about it all the time.

I can certainly recommend the SS4000 at the current prices!

Joel W.

From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Excellent scanner, but I don't know that I'd consider it a replacement.
Isn't it much, much more expensive?

Of course, one worry is that Polaroid is on the brink of bankruptcy.  Might
be safer to get it from the 'real' manufacturer (meaning the SS4000).  I
think that's Microtek.

Tom