Re: [OM] Filter brands and types

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter brands and types
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 15:19:15 -0700
Mickey asks:

<< I just purchased a Hoya circular polarizer. I was surprised that it
is made by Tokina. How long has this been going on? >>

They merged with Kenko at least a decade ago. It is an example of not
really knowing the originating manufacturer of many filters.  Long time
subscribers will recall that I mentioned Kenko as having particularily
good quality control in autocollimator testing by Bill Rogers.

Sorry guys, I read into the filters thread as a periodic "this brand
excels" discourse, which pops up on every photo list. Since it wasn't
intended that way, I stand corrected.  Meanwhile, wouldn't it be great
if we had some objective data on filters? Like if Popular Photography
did some SQF testing and determined MTF ratings with and without filters
on one particular high performance lens?

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV