Re: [OM] Shimmer & Focusing

Subject: Re: [OM] Shimmer & Focusing
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 02:07:38 EDT
In a message dated 7/15/01 8:38:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Be sure to try with and without a filter,
>  too.  :-)

Actually, I've pretty much adopted the technique of using filters only as
front element guards when not shooting.  But then there will be tiimes when I
want to USE a filter as a critical component of the shot.  Polarizer, most
likely for me, as I shoot up high, around snow, and around water a lot.  So
yeah, I really should test both with, and without, filters, eh?

Took the sky/UV off both the 50/1.2 and 85/2 all day yesterday at the
Highland Games.  Kinda scary.  Wind was up most of the day, and there was
some dust ocassionally from the parking lot, the sheep trials, the bands,
etc..  Skagit River flood plain dust.  Very fine, the kind that finds its way
into every crevice.  I need a mini vacuum cleaner for the Oly gear.  No
incidents with front elements, though, thank goodness.

Yeah, that would be interesting, to check focusing results with and without
filter.  And with different filters: Cokin, Hoya, Olympus slim, UV,
polarizer, etc.  Geez, anybody want to donate some film for this experiment?
Lotta variables to control for.  Gonna have to ask the employer for a leave
of absence.  Need to go to Hawaii, to control atmospheric conditions...  and
stick with one brand of beer thruout.  :>)

Rich