Re: [OM] OM provoked near heart attack!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM provoked near heart attack!
From: "O.C" <oben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:33:49 +1000
At 05:18 AM Tuesday 17/07/2001, you wrote:
Had a near heart attack yesterday. Went on a church picnic with my family. We
took a short cruise on the Belle of Louisville, one of the few stern-wheeler
steam paddle boats still plying parts of the Ohio River. About a three-hour
cruise. That should have made me cautious. ;-)

I had a shocking experience with my bounce grip 2 and t32 the other day. I had left it laying on the floor with flash in the bg2 shoe. Went to work thinking nothing of it. Returned home... enjoyed a pleasant night and then found the bg2/t32 combo on the floor but the t32's upper part was hanging precariously off the shoe attachment of the flash like a kid's head flopping about on an unsupportive neck. My cleaner had swept the floors and moved the flash to do so. Obviously she had held it by the head and the weight of the bg2 with d batteries installed had snapped it. The screws were bent and there was pieces of plastic everywhere. I was seething as any zuiko lover here can imagine. If I had broken it I wouldn't have minded so much... but this was a mint t32 seemingly dead at someone elses hands!

To cut a long story short. Step 1. I fired the cleaner. Step 2. I got some epoxy glue and glued it together. It still has a fine hairline crack visible and I had to remove two of the anterior screws in the battery compartment that had lost their threads but after 24 hours of curing the glue had done an excellent job. The flash still worked in the usual manner. I'm glad it works but it is scarred for life... and so am I. My lesson which is a variation of the one you mentioned: Never leave your camera gear at the mercy of others!

I know that others' misfortune can sometimes bring mirth, as it had for me with stories of t32's on this list needing gluing and tape etc. I never thought I'd be the one gluing. I guess I got what was coming to me for all those laughs.

Oben